Why Small Wonders
We take pride in providing an exceptional learning environment for your child. Prospective parents sometimes ask what qualifications we seek in a teacher. We go to great lengths to hire teachers that meet and exceed all state and local requirements. In addition to performing background and reference checks, we have a multi-step selection process to ensure we are selecting the best additions to our team. Not only do our lead teachers exceed the teaching qualifications as outlined by licensing but our assistants do as well with the vast majority of our staff obtaining a Step 7 or higher on the Oregon Registry Steps. But our teacher search goes beyond that, because the qualifications for a truly great teacher are more than an itemized list of skills. The have chosen this vocation not to be loved by their students, but to appreciate and understand who they are and the mystery and wonder that they bring each day. A Small Wonders teacher works on the child’s level, looks them in the eyes, laughs at their jokes, smiles when they succeed, and helps them get up and try again.
Our teachers work as team with the families to make your child’s learning experience a positive and invaluable one. Our teachers are warm, creative, responsible, thoughtful and of course fun. As learners themselves all members of our small staff participate in minimum of 15 ongoing training hours annually. Our teachers set Small Wonders apart from our competition and together they work to provide a stimulating, nurturing, fun, and creative environment for all of our friends.
We care so much about the quality of your child’s first school experience that we, the owners, oversee all operations. We wear all the hats from bookkeeping to sales, hiring to education director. All of the children, all of the projects, the daily happenings mean so much to us that, while we could hire administrators we choose not to. We need directors that use more than their knowledge and experience. We need them to operate with their heart. Nobody is going to do that better, more consistently, day in and day out, than the owners. And so we greet you each and every day with Allison at Hollywood and Quinlyn at Grant Park.
What else makes the Small Wonders program stand out?
- High Quality and Recognized: In 2016 we participated in QRIS; child care providers and early learning programs who choose to participate in the QRIS are evaluated on a range of elements that are essential for quality care and preparing children for kindergarten and beyond. We are proud to be one of the select programs in the state to receive a 5-star designation with recognition for our excellence in everything from curriculum to business practices to teacher education and training. Learn more!
- Reggio Inspired Design: Our Hollywood Center was designed and built custom to our Reggio-inspired specifications. Our Grant Park space followed suit. Upon entering you will spy our Atelier or art studio space. Our classroom space utilizes natural materials and is void of commercialized products and plastic storage materials. We celebrate the aesthetic beauty of nature, light and natural materials–wood, plants, glass and stoneware, etc.–while exceeding the classroom design standards of ECERS. Our smaller Fremont space has been featured on the likes of online design magazine Apartment Therapy.
- Communication: As a parent you will receive daily updates on your child’s school happenings with our password protected blog, complete with many many pictures! You will find an accessible teaching staff and director, ready to address questions and concerns.
- Positive Environment: Small Wonders is your child’s introduction to schooling housed in an intimate environment, as such we encourage and feed a love of learning! We strive to be a place of nurturing and play.
- We are a State Child Care. Our programs are regulated by the State of Oregon Child Care Division. Both our Center and Certified Family programs undergo an annual certification process, unannounced visits and are inspected by the Child Care Division, County Health Department and Fire Marshall.
- Enriching Activities: Our days are filled with meaningful projects. From the sensory table to the day’s exploratory art experience your child is gaining new skills, having fun, laughing lots and always growing. We bringing outside specialists, like Reptile Guy, Firefighters, Penny’s Puppet Productions, or The Smile Bus.